Monday, November 27, 2006

Early morning in the city x

I had a brain wave about my art. Why don't I try the city squares before anyone gets up?
I am on my way back now from a few hours drawing. The early morning was so busy, but only locals. I walked through the market places before the days trading began. There was a strong and evocative smell of incense and the ringing of prayer bells. Everyone has to get to the temple to begin their day with prayer and that is what they wee doing today. Amazing sights and sounds. They were actually sweeping and cleaning the roadways and alleys before laying out their wares. The vegetable market was in full swing. mariglolds and spices and herbs and tika powder. There were evn people feeding the cows and calves in the street and also the pigeons and a goat with a bell round its neck. The stray dogs didn't seem to be being fed but one or two had malas on.

The only people ready for business when they saw me were the saddhus trying to charge me for photos. Since I didn't have my camera that was a nonstarter.

And the only people missing from this scene were the Japanese and Korean tourists and their distinctive face masks. Bizarre world.
Love from Kathmandu,
Jill x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home