Sunday, December 03, 2006

It must be true....tthe BBC said so.


For those of you who know this man (Sarah, Helen, Denise and Brian, Sue + Stu, Gilly + Dave) his picture today will come as something of a surprise. Yes he has lost his hippy hair. The magic ponytail!
This is Samanta Sunder Pokhrel and our main contact and friend here. He has been the architect of most of what we have done here. He made the initial contacts with schools he chose (well) to suit each of us. He went on to support our placements in every way. A real star.

He was an aging hippy. He told his wife and his mother, both of whom hated his hippy days, that he would have his hair cut when peace came to Nepal. And this week the United Nations returned here in greater numbers. They endorsed and co-signed the Comprehensive Peace Agreement in Kathmandu a week ago.

Their involvement has been a confidence boost to Nepalis. The Peace does not have to depend on the goodwill of the Maoist cadres, the army and the politicians or indeed the King. the B.B.C. say the United Nations will guarantee it. So it is so.

And the ponytail was sacrificed.

Love,
Jill x

P.S. I went into town today on the bus. I usually offer to have a child or someone's shopping or a bag of rice on my knee because I am a friendly and helpful person. Today I saw a goat being crushed by the push of passengers. There was no option. It sat on my knee. All the way trying to look out of the window and trampling around on me in the process. What I shall miss about Nepal xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home