Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Farewell to Miss Jill x


This is one of the images I shall carry with me. I took this photograph during an ordinary lesson. This is the view from my classroom doorway. My lessons attracted a lot of attention within the school. And through the window I could see the grandparents and passing goatherds and whoever else on the grassy knoll.


And this is part of my own leave taking. The children gave me all these flower bouquets and malas plus an assortment of heartfelt gifts which have all come home with me. This is a special meeting of the parents. It was always a difficult thing to arrange because they are all subsistance farmers and time is not easy for them to find. However they came together to meet the Headteacher one day and hear of his plans for the next year. You can see that some of them are holding a leaflet.. but the truth is that they cannot read. It is a situation that Purna and Uttav are tackling. Adult literacy groups will meet during the winter and the monsoon i.e. when time is easier to find. The hope is that they will be able to write at least their own names when I see them again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home