Friday, December 22, 2006

The Purnah Salary Fund 03/04/2007 - Total to date £575

There is little I can add to what Jill has written about our experiences in Nepal, except to say that I miss Nepal and I miss my family and friends there. And yes, I too have made a commitment to Nepal and its people and I will be going back.

You may remember that Jill has mentioned Purnah, one of the teachers at her school, in some of her blogs, and there's a photo of him somewhere too. His funding runs out at the end of this year, and we would really like to be able to fund him for as long as possible as he is a really good teacher, very conscientious, and very concerned both about the welfare of the children and that of the community. He wants to start Adult literacy classes in Nagarkot, which he won't be able to do if he has to leave Nagarkot and find work elsewhere - possibly abroad.

The pay of a teacher in Nepal is around £50 a month for a teacher in a government school, and as Purnah is still training he gets the equivalent of £25. So that's only £300 a year. He has two more years of training still to do, and then he will become a permanent teacher, at which point the government will pay for him.

So we've started a fund for Purnah's salary. And on this page, which will be updated as and when, we're going to give a running total and list the people who have donated to it. So if you'd like to contribute, please contact either Jill or myself - any contributions would be most welcome.

List of donors to the fund - with grateful thanks


  • Rob Hepworth
  • Keith Noble
  • Dick and Gill Moore
  • Sophie Moore
  • Edward and Laura - Dick and Gills' niece and nephew
  • Gary Fox
  • Debi Fleming
  • Denise Varley
  • Lucie Barlow
  • Nicola Roddy
  • Mrs Abrams
  • Patrick Hogan
  • Greg Freeman
  • Sue and Graham Bagshaw
  • Celena Bretton
  • Sarah Jane Smalley
  • Gavin Hubbard
  • Chris Bell
  • The Organisation Development Team at Ufi learndirect

Vivienne x

1 Comments:

Blogger RosInSheffield said...

Hi,
I've just started my TESOL course at Hallam. I'd like to donate £25 towards the fund for Purnah's salary. I think that will make it up to the £600 you need for his next 2 years. Let me know how to send you the money.

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home