Thursday, September 21, 2006

Happy Deshain 2063

Today is friday (I think) and the last day before the Deshain holiday. When I arrived at school the children were busily decorating the rooms with flowers and insence and red powder. There was a general air of exitement just like Xmas Eve. A few hours later, after they sang some more Nepali folksongs here I am in the village at the internet point. But you should see me. So many of the students wanted to honour the school and more particularly the teachers and most particularly me... (apparently thats what today is about) that I have a great many flower garlands and so many rice tikka marks (approximately) on my forehead that I look somewhat garish and scary. I made some Deshain cards with the children too thereby confusing a perfectly Nepali festival with English custom.

Yesterday my school took part in a valley singing festival. Many of the mothers had walked quite a distance to support their children. The sight of some will stay with me for a long time. One poor soul was shoeless and had twins strapped onto her chest and a small toddler strapped onto her back. She told me that to be the mother of twins is lucky.
Anyway much to my surprise I was asked to give out the prizes. (I was also invited to sing an English folksong to the assembly, which I would have done if I had been able to think of one..... Not a single "Hey-Nonny-Nonny" suggested itself. !!

We now have some time off timetable as the schools are closed for the holiday period. Viv's school have invited her/us to do some extra conversation classes during this time. We also have invitations to staff homes. Parbitre has decided what I most need is a red Salwaar + Kurta so she volunteers to take me to a tailor next week. This is, however, our best chance to get to some other part of the country for a few days. We are awaiting the arrival of Bhakta....tour guide and friend.... at the cottage when he gets back from Tibet this weekend. We are hoping he may be able to sort us out with a trip to Lumbini (birthplace of Buddha) and/or to Chitwan Reserve for more canoeing and elephant safari etc.

With Love and a happy Deshain,
Jill xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home