Saturday, September 23, 2006

Shree Krishna Higher Secondary School and other things

Well, now that I've spent 4 days teaching at Shree Krishna Higher Secondary School, it's time to tell you something about what it's been like.

I've been teaching two classes of year 9s who are 14-15 years old. There have been approximately 60 - 80 students in one class and about 40-60 in the second and they all sit in rows of benches which are attached to desks. We started off with some general dictation and pronunciation so that they could get a bit more used to my accent, then we moved on to questions and answers so that they would each have a chance to speak. Most of them were fine about it, but some of the girls were just shy and giggled a lot, whilst some of the boys looked down at their shoes. I guess it's just not what they're used to doing, and it isn't comfortable for them to be taught in that way. So then we moved on to doing some grammar work, which they were far more comfortable with, and also got the hang of quite quickly. So I guess most of my work after the holidays will be grammar, interspersed with pronunciation. I've been trying to fathom out how to teach the 'sh' and 'v' sounds which don't occur in the Nepali language. I think I've worked out how to do it, but I have yet to try it out. I have to say, though, that they are all friendly and a lot of them will talk to me individually, even though they're too shy to do it in front of their classmates.

The other class I'm teaching, the year 12s, are completely different. They range in age from 16 - 20, and on the whole are very talkative and lively. One always greets me as 'grandma' because I am so old ! So far I've spent most of the time just talking with them, but they also need some help with grammar and pronunciation, so I'll be planning that in after the Dasain holiday.

Friday was somewhat different. I did teach the two class 9s, but after that there was a cultural programme put on by the students to celebrate Dasain. They did really well, staging it all themselves, sorting out the programme, and there were some really good performances. Suntali Tamang, who lives opposite where we are staying and takes me to school every morning, was the first act on (see right), and was very good. There were other dances in more traditional Nepali dress too (see photo on the left), and singers, and sketches and jokes (none of which I understood of course, but seemed to go down very well with a large audience of students, teachers, parents and other officials). The whole programme took about 6 hours, and was really good.

Yesterday we went to Kathmandu for the day, to have a massage (1 hour for less than a tenner), and to do some shopping. I think we have enough books now to last us for a few days at least (we'll need them if it doesn't stop raining soon!). At night the owner of the place we're staying in was there with his wife and baby daughter as he had invited his friends and relations to lunch to celebrate Dasain. We had a very nice talk to them - he runs the tourism business, and she works for ActionAid in Nepal, which we found very interesting. Today they are having another lunch for more friends and family, and we have been invited.

So that's it for now. There will be more later (of course).

Vivienne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home